While birds are stunning creatures, a warehouse isn’t a proper home for them. Birds can create serious safety problems in the workplace, which is why it is crucial to prevent them from visiting your warehouse from the start. Papé Material Handling is here to help reduce problems within your warehouse, which is why we can provide some helpful ways to prevent creatures from nesting in your workspace. Birds can create movement which can startle employees, but they can also create slippery droppings on the floor that have the potential to create more issues. They can also carry up to 60 dangerous microorganisms (including Samonella) which can harm you and your business.
Unwanted visitors typically seek shelter in warm places, so you should keep an eye out for high rafters and available nooks and crannies for any bird nests. Whether you have Gulls, crows, pigeons, or other kinds of birds, they can be a headache to deal with. Prevent infections, damage, and safety issues through these 5 best ways to prevent birds from living in your warehouse!
- Eliminate Anything that Attracts Birds - make sure your warehouse isn’t actively attracting birds. Remove stagnant water and unpackaged food to ensure you’re not attracting creatures.
- Utilize Bird Prevention Methods - There are plenty of active ways to prevent birds from feeling at home in your warehouse.
- Scare Devices - by placing a replica of a common predator, you can scare birds away. However, some birds are smart enough to ignore these decoys.
- Bird Netting - Investing in strong, lightweight netting can help eliminate certain times of birds. It’s generally inexpensive, doesn’t affect ventilation and is considered eco-friendly, and starts working immediately.
- Repellent Gels - Birds typically don’t like the substance on their feet, which helps you coat problematic areas with a deterrent. You will have to reapply often, as they can become more ineffective through dust or dirt.
- Porcupine-Wire - While these don’t harm the birds, they do make it very uncomfortable to rest on them. They’re barely noticeable, but they do require a labor-intensive installation.
- Bird Slides - Block popular spots and prevent popular perch spots with bird slides so that birds can’t gain a foothold on their favorite location. This works for all types of bird sizes.
- Audio Devices - By producing a sound of your bird’s natural predator or a low-profile ultrasonic sound wave, birds will feel less safe within your warehouse. You can place these speakers in multiple locations for a weatherproof solution to control your bird problem.
- Utilize Reflective Light Beams - When birds are exposed to a light pattern, they often feel like they’re in danger and fly. Bird lasers are handy for challenging situations to avoid more invasive methods.
- Electric Wires - If you’re looking to charge a bird’s behavior, shock devices and electric wires can help. These produce an unpleasant but harmless shock.
- Consider Alternative Door Options - As simple as this is, it’s important to ensure all doors are closed when not in use. If this is difficult to achieve, there are plastic curtain strips and vinyl strip doors to help prevent birds to access your warehouse.
- Consider Bird Traps - If you already have a bird problem in your warehouse, you’ll need to remove the birds before following through with any of these solutions. Most traps have a one-way entrance allowing you to trap the bird and release them outside of your warehouse safely.
- Constantly Monitor Your Warehouse - If you’re not monitoring your warehouse, then nothing will matter! Ensure you take time to review typical perch and nesting spots to ensure you don’t have a bird in your facility.
At Papé Material Handling, we offer plenty of warehouse solutions and warehouse products to help you prevent unwanted visitors. Speak to one of our several locations if you need help with a bird problem!